Parents of baby boy who died after ingesting drug at daycare charged with criminal negligence

The parents of a baby boy in Toronto who died after ingesting an illicit drug at a car-ride daycare last fall have been charged with criminal negligence causing death. The boy, known as Rocky,…

Parents of baby boy who died after ingesting drug at daycare charged with criminal negligence

The parents of a baby boy in Toronto who died after ingesting an illicit drug at a car-ride daycare last fall have been charged with criminal negligence causing death.

The boy, known as Rocky, was just 13 days old and the only child of Shannon and Shane Ramsey. Rocky was seen unresponsive in his stroller in the early morning hours of Oct. 11 at Happy Valley-Goose Bay Daycare. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital and shortly later died of an undetermined cause.

Meanwhile, Shannon Ramsey and Rocklyn Ramirett-White were arrested Wednesday and appear in court Thursday. A funeral was held for Rocky on Oct. 12, the same day.

Assistant Chief Brian Ferguson, executive director of Toronto’s Air Rescue/Lifeguard Unit, said his officers carried out a thorough investigation which culminated in the charges filed.

“We found that both adults engaged in unsafe, potentially dangerous practices, and that this resulted in the death of the child,” Ferguson said.

Last month, doctors at Sunnybrook Hospital told reporters that there was no known link between the drug found in Rocky’s system and his death, nor did he have any known medical conditions at the time of his birth.

However, Sharon Henderson, Calgary’s coroner, noted that drugs, like cocaine and opiates, can make a baby develop a seizure condition.

Ferguson said these types of incidents are rare, as most children in the child-care system are very healthy.

Earlier this week, Health Canada announced it had given the go-ahead for the state-owned daycare to reopen on Friday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click for more from The Toronto Star.

Leave a Comment